5 Common Signs Your Electrical Circuit Is Overloaded


When you spend time performing different types of tasks and using multiple devices in your home, it can be easy to take your electricity for granted. Unfortunately, your electrical circuit can become overloaded when you plug in too many electronics and appliances. Here are a few signs you’re overloading an electrical circuit on your property in Hobart, IN.

1. Dimming Lights

When your electrical circuit is strained, it won’t allow as much power to be delivered to the lights throughout the home. You may notice they start to dim and don’t appear as bright in various rooms. The lights can flicker and start to blink at different times. Try replacing the bulbs to determine if this corrects the issue. If the problem persists, it indicates your electrical circuit is strained.

2. Burning Smells

It’s common to start to smell burning odors throughout the home, which is common near and around different outlets and light switches in each room. This can be a serious hazard and requires hiring a professional to inspect the cause of the issue. This is a common occurrence when you plug an appliance into the wall or after unplugging one of your appliances.

3. Getting Shocked

Although you may have been shocked at times while plugging in your electronics or appliances, it’s a cause of concern. Your electrical circuit is likely overloaded when you get shocked while inserting the plugs into outlets. An easy test to perform is to plug a device into a separate outlet to determine if you get shocked again. If you’re not shocked the second time, then it indicates your electrical circuit is overloaded and needs attention.

4. Buzzing and Clicking Noises

Buzzing and clicking noises are common when your electrical circuit is strained and often come from different appliances and devices that are plugged into various outlets. Try to plug in the items to other outlets in the home. If there are no longer any clicking or buzzing sounds, then the circuit is overworked and needs to be repaired by a professional electrician.

5. Yellow or Damaged Outlets

Many of the homes in Hobart, IN, are older and were built in the 1950s, which means it’s common to find yellow outlets in many buildings. Unfortunately, this is also a sign that the electrical circuit is overworked. They can become hot to the touch.

Contact us today to learn more about your electrical circuit. If you believe it is overloaded, talk to the pros at Cruz Electric. Our team is here to assist you and explain the services we offer.

Related Posts
  • Does Your Electric Vehicle Charger Need Maintenance? Read More
  • Top 5 Signs Your Electrical Panel Needs To Be Replaced Read More